123 Ignition Distributor - TR8 / Pre Serp Rover V8123Ignition
Finally some modern technology for your Rover V8! This wireless programmable distributor works with the Triumph TR8 and any Pre Serpentine Rover V8. The 123 Ignition distributors allows your full control of the advance curve. You can use either a vacuum advance or manual advance to set your timing. The 123 Ignition App allows you to connect to the distributor wirelessly via your Andriod or Apple device.
We run this on all our project builds because of its customization and mostly because of the reliability. TR8 wiring instructions are below.
Main features: REV-counter, Antitheft system by a PIN code, Real time tuning, Vacuum advance, Boost retard, Soft REV-limiter, etc.
Voltage: 9,0 - 15,0 volt
Range: 500 - 8000 rpm
Temperature: -30 to 100 Celsius
Coil: stock or High Energy coil, primary coil NOT below 1,0 ohm
Dwell: constant current, fully autom.
Time-out: after 1 second current is switched off
Spark-bal: <0,5 degr. crankshaft
Vacuum: Programmable: -20 / +20 degrees.
Curve: Wireless programmable with Android or iOS app
Max. Advance: 45 degr. crankshaft
Wiring: red = +12V, black = '-' coil, blue = chassis ground
DEFAULT APP PIN IS 1234
|App for IOS:||123\Tune (link to App Store opens in new window) requires iPhone/IPad/iPod 4+ or newer|
|App Android:||123\Tune+ (link to Google Play Store opens in new window) requires Android 4.4 and up and a device with bluetooth 4.0 LE or higher
Triumph TR8 Wiring Instructions (If your current setup is OEM)
- From the right side of the ballast resistor (the incoming side) there are 4 wires going into the rectangle yellowish plug. The 4 wires are white/yellow, white, white, and white/grey.
- (Cut and run the wires one by one so you don't get them mixed up)
- White/yellow is no longer used, and can be taped off.
- The 2 solid white wires, which are joined together at the plug, will run directly to the Positive side of the new coil.
- The white/grey stripe wire goes directly to the Negative side of the new coil.
- If the white/grey stripe wire is faded or dirty, we recommend getting a test light and making sure it does not have power with the key in the on position.
- The double white wires should have power with the key in the on position.
- The 123 and Pertronix distributor have 2 wires coming off of it, Red and Black.
- Red will run directly to the Positive side of the new coil.
- Black will run directly to the Negative side of the new coil.
- The ballast resistor and any wires coming off of the ballast resistor can be removed from the car.
- If the car is fuel injected, The white/black wire from the incoming side of the ballast resistor will go directly to the negative side of the coil.
Before buying this 123 distributer I purchased two different aftermarket distributors. I wish that I had saved the money on the first two and went straight to the 123. The 123 distributor build quality appears very good, much better than the other aftermarket distributors that I tried. Even the rotor and cap are much better quality. Installation in my TR8 was straight forward. Instructions were okay however a couple things could use improvement. First, there was nothing about transferring the dirve gear from the old distributor. I planned on using the gear from the original Lucas distributor but I cracked it because the roll pin that came with the 123 was slightly too big. I ended up using the gear from one of the aftermarket distributor that I had. I used the roll pin from the aftermarket distributor and it installed easily. Also, the instructions were vague in the area about turning the distributor counter clockwise until the green LED under the rotor comes on. I assumed (correctly) that when the green light came on, the rotor landed on the cap number one location. Apparently this process is all about finding the distributor trigger point. I specified the EFI advance curve when I ordered the 123 and was able to start the car without worrying about which curve was loaded. The car started right up and I was able to set the timing with a timing light easily. The Bluetooth is very cool. The app was easy to load and had no trouble syncing the phone app with the 123 distributor. The app displays timing curves, tach, MPH not to mention exact engine temperature and voltage which is more than my stock gauges can do. Although the engine idles and revs good, I have not driven the car because I have it up on jack stands working on other things. I am expecting excellent drivability but have yet to confirm. I would recommend this distributor without hesitation